Coconut Curry Chicken Soup #SundaySupper 1st Birthday Celebration


Happy New Year to everyone!  I am super excited with this post as its celebrate so many "FIRST":

  • The 1st post of the year of 2013
  • The 1st post using my brand new kitchen
  • The 1st post of #SundaySupper for 2013 and the
  • To celebrate the 1st #SundaySupper Birthday
Thank you very much to #SundaySupper for this wonderful event this weekend that have motivated me to on track into my kitchen after a long break since my last post on last 19 December.    The new house was still in the mess when we moved in on the 31 December but we were glad that we managed to celebrate the New Year in our new house.  Now that is almost eight percent settled down.......hmmmm.....is time for me to get back into the kitchen and need some time to get use to it!

This week is #SundaySupper celebrating its 1st Birthday Bash!  It was eight months ago since I joined this big family.  I learned and gained a lot knowledge from this wonderful group of people.  A big thank you to Isabel Foodie of Family Foodie, the founder of this group.  I fully agreed of what she said - "Food Brings People Together"!  I also wish to take this opportunity to a mentor that assigned by Isabel to take care of me when I am still new in the group - Paula Montenegro of  Vintage Kitchen and also the rest of you too.  Thank you for all the supports and great memories for all this while and I love all of you AND Happy Birthday to #SundaySupper!

In conjunction with the 1st Birthday celebration this week by choosing one of the recipes from contributors of #SundaySupper.  I have chosen Coconut Curry Chicken Soup inspired by Chung-Ah of Damn Delicious.  

I always have a thought that making Curry Soup will take so many steps to prepare but Chung-Ah's recipe has proven me wrong and has stimulated me to try it on.  

I have made the curry soup extracted with more Malaysian style, which we called as "Curry Laksa".  I am not even have used the Thai Curry Paste but I have also added in with  chili paste and cayenne pepper (chili powder) to make the taste curry taste stronger.  I have also substitute the tofu with the popular ingredient in Malaysia - Fried Tofu Puff, which turn out great as its fully absorbed in the curry soup.  Once ready, serve with some cooked chili paste with fresh lime juice, love it!

There are so many different recipes of curry soup but I love this one as it is not so complicated and easy to prepare.  And, this recipe is absolutely perfect for those in the cold and chill weather!


INGREDIENTS

Curry Soup:
3 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp minced shallots
1 packet of Thai curry paste (about 180 -200 gm)
200 gm of coconut milk
2 cups of chicken stock
2 cups of shredded chicken breast meat
1 packet of fried tofu puff (contains 12 pieces)
2 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tbsp sugar
Some salt to taste
Sliced green and red peppers or jalapenos to garnish

1 packet of vermicelli noodles

Chicken stock:
1/2 chicken, cut into big piece and separate the breast 
2 onions, diced

(The above serve 4-6)


DIRECTIONS

1.   Chicken stock preparation.  Bring a  pot of boiled water add in pieces chicken and onions
      and simmer for at least half an hour.  Drained out chicken meat and onions.

2.   Cook the vermicelli noodles separately by, omitting salt and oil. Drain.  Divide them in
       separate bowls.

3.   In a separate pot or wok, heat-up oil and sauteed minced shallots until it turn brown.
      Add in curry paste, chili paste and chili powder, chicken stock, lime juice, sugar and salt.
      You may add in more chicken stock and let it simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

4.   Add in shredded chicken and also those chicken pieces, fried tofu puff and let it cook for
      another 5 minutes.


5.   Add in coconut milk and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.


5.   Ladle the soup into each bowl enough to cover to noodles and garnish with sliced green
       and red peppers or jalapenos.

5.   Serve with cooked chili paste and fresh lime.  Enjoy!



Let's check out total of 52 recipes to celebrate #SundaySupper 1st Birthday!


Sunday Supper Appetizers:
 Sunday Supper Soups and Breads:
 Sunday Supper Main Dishes: 
Sunday Supper Veggies: 
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks: 
 Sunday Supper Breakfast Faves:
Sunday Supper Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

Comments