The Best Banana Bread Recipe



My family and I, we love bananas. I can’t tell you how much we consume in a year but it must nearly be the same as monkeys. I’ve always wanted to make banana cake (I refuse to call this banana bread because bread is mostly white, floury and more dense…and doesn’t have this glorious banana fragrance!) but my constant hurdle was:

I could not find the best banana cake recipe that’s not too complicated. Most recipes require an overripe banana – we always run out of bananas before they become overripe!



Finally, I decided to give this recipe a go and stored bananas to ripen. The recipe looked so easy and I love that the flour amount is minimized by adding oatmeal. It’s simple, quick and just perfect. It’s so easy that even Pristine can make it (I just “supervise”). Did you know that baking is a very nice and enjoyable way to teach kids about fractions? Like, what makes 1 cup = 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup and the like.

I hope you enjoy this Banana Bread from Romancing the Stove as much as we do. It’s a recipe you definitely want to keep for a long time.

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup oatmeal (quick cooking type)
1 egg, beaten
3 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup milk
2 overripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Butter a loaf pan and set aside.

Procedure:

1. Mix all dry ingredients in a big bowl.

2. In another bowl, whisk egg, butter and milk.

3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the liquids in #2. Mix well.

4. Add the mashed bananas and nuts and mix to combine.

5. Transfer batter into ban and cook for 30-40 minutes.

Note: I cook it for 35 minutes

6. Take out from oven when a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.

7. Transfer to a wire rack, let it cool, slice and enjoy.

I cooked this so Pristine can bring to her school’s year end party. I baked it at night and the smell of my kitchen made me forget about the words, “diet”, “restrain” and “self-control”.

Comments